Wednesday 17 December 2014

Character Developing | Mrs Brisket #3

After being given the part of Mrs Brisket, and when beginning to form any character I tried to come up with a particular accent for that character. I do this because I feel it gives me a 'starting point' and something to allow me to experiment with mannerisms, forms of expression and body language- when I am satisfied with all of those characteristics I associate that persona with the accent and can then ease myself into that persona through using that accent. I understand that an accent is not the most important feature of acting and that this is not the way everyone may approach developing a character but for me; it's a way of committing to a character, especially when it's a bold caricature such as the ones in this play.

The character interested me because she has a large contribution to the themes of injustice and mistreatment to the orphans which could be fun to play. There is also a point in the play though when she puts on a flamboyant act for the school inspector's visit which, again reinforces the theme of appearances being deceiving and gives the actor that plays her a chance to shift out of her true character and toy with the impression she might give at that moment in the play.

No comments:

Post a Comment